[carpe] 2016-09-13 CARPE Conscribillati: 14 days until meeting; feeble power; too hot; soldering; python v c/c++; emulator; practical pi; seeed; orange pi; audio; pibakery; 10M; DOS; iot

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Tue Sep 13 17:00:26 EDT 2016

14 days until meeting
The CARPE meeting date has been changed to 2016-09-27.
http://www.meetup.com/techlifecolumbus/events/233747098/

I have seen a square near the upper right corner of display when
the CPU gets above 80°C. Recently I have been seeing a
red/yellow/blue/cyan square  briefly frequently at much lower
temperatures. Once I read about it on the web, my red power LED
was blinking out at the same time. It turns out that was due to
me Pi3 not getting enough juice. I thought my power supply was
beefy enough, so I swapped cables and the symptoms disappeared.
The better cable is skinny. The worse cable is fatter; perhaps
just with plastic, not copper.

    https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=82373
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=99726

temp_limit

    dim yellow/orange square appears 5°C below temp_limit.
    Just below temp_limit, the yellow/orange square is bright.
    At temp_limit, the square is bright red/orange,
    and things are throttled to avoid overheating.

    Default temp_limit seems to be 85°C.

soldering

    whiskers

        wp:Whisker (metallurgy)
        http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/

    wp:Tin pest
    wp:Zinc pest
    wp:Gold-aluminium intermetallic
    wp:Bronze disease
    http://twbrewing.com/

Python vs. C/C++ in embedded systems
https://opensource.com/life/16/8/python-vs-cc-embedded-systems

Look Ma, no hardware! Coding the Raspberry Pi in a web emulator
https://opensource.com/life/16/9/coding-raspberry-pi-web-emulator

Sysnova ICT Computer: providing students with low-cost computing
http://www.dhakatribune.com/feature/2016/09/05/sysnova-ict-computer-providing-students-low-cost-computing/

Seeed has much interesting stuff
Tiny $7 IoT module packs WiFi, BLE, and sensors, runs FreeRTOS
http://hackerboards.com/tiny-7-iot-module-packs-wifi-ble-and-sensors-runs-freertos/

The Orange Pi: Linux on Quad Core for Under $20
https://www.linux.com/news/orange-pi-linux-quad-core-under-20

Make your Raspberry Pi the centrepiece of your home entertainment system
https://www.gadgetdaily.xyz/build-a-pi-media-centre/

Setting up the Raspberry Pi just got a lot easier, thanks to PiBakery
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/setting-up-the-raspberry-pi-just-got-a-lot-easier-thanks-to-pibakery/

Raspberry Pi Founder Eben Upton was extremely proud to announce that a total of ten million Raspberry Pi single-board computers have been sold to date
http://news.softpedia.com/news/10-million-raspberry-pi-computers-have-been-sold-new-starter-kit-available-508106.shtml

Keeping DOS alive and kicking with open source
https://opensource.com/life/16/9/interview-jim-hall-freedos

Open source Cortex-M3 board supports Arduino and FreeRTOS
http://hackerboards.com/open-cortex-m3-board-supports-arduino-and-freertos/

How we used Linux
https://blog.bubbleautomation.com/how-we-used-linux/

Who Needs the Internet of Things?