[carpe] Need Presentation

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Aug 8 10:58:29 EDT 2017

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017, jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 17:16:43 -0400 (EDT), R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 7 Aug 2017, jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:
> >
> > > Who wants to give a presentation for the 2017-08-15 CARPE meeting?
> >
> > I recently had a minor patch accepted upstream in the Arduino
> > IDE
> >
> > I will write some notes up on the process I followed, and
> > present that, as a 'gateway' to encourage others to find some
> > little bug, isolate it, and send the fix upstream
>
> Great! Thanks!
>
> What should the promotional prose for your presentation be?

Readings from a Field Notebook;
getting started with IoT devices

Russ Herrold will discuss how the emerging 'Internet of
Things' community has a natural 'fit' to the Free and Open
Source Software development / Unix (the _last_ operating
system) culture movement

There will be a 'worked example' of how to 'jump right in' to
the deep end, start swimming, and swat at some bugs along the
way; a set-up of the development environment; identifying an
issue; upstreaming a (wrong) proposed fix; and looking again
for a better one

Also along the way we will deploy a working IoT
application into new hardware, and see the blinking lights

-- Russ herrold