[carpe] 2017-12-12 CARPE Conscribillati: Meetings are Back!

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Fri Dec 15 20:52:32 EST 2017

The monthly meetings are back!
We changed out meeting date to second Tuesdays.
The next meeting is on 2018-01-10.

On 2017-12-12, we had the first monthly meeting since August.
Thanks to Pillar, Gabriel Sheeley, and Erin Moore for their hospitality.
There was plenty of pizza and adult beverages for all who came.

Jim Prior showed his infra-red temperature sensor system
and Russ Herrold showed his many nifty little pieces of hardware

    LED flashlight that took either
        three AAA batteries or
        one 18650 lithium cell
    USB powered LED
    ESP32 board with battery holder for 18650
    battery powered soldering iron
    any many other nifty things
    AA batteries that were USB chargable
        pull one end of battery off to reveal
        USB plug. real battery was only part AA battery.
    USB rechargable 9V batteries

OSH Park is a community printed circuit board (PCB) order.
https://oshpark.com/
Electroless nickel immersion gold
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroless_nickel_immersion_gold
wp:Platinum print

wp: prefix means Wikipedia
To get good answers, consider following the advice in the links below.
http://web.archive.org/web/20090627155454/www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting.html

link farm

Open source Linux-on-Zynq SBC debuts new FPGA add-on standard
http://linuxgizmos.com/open-source-linux-on-zynq-sbc-debuts-new-fpga-add-on-standard/

Rugged, octa-core hacker board has 2GB RAM
http://linuxgizmos.com/rugged-octa-core-hacker-board-has-2gb-ram/

First Renesas based Raspberry Pi clone runs Linux
http://linuxgizmos.com/first-renesas-based-raspberry-pi-clone-runs-linux/

Why Python and Pygame are a great pair for beginning programmers
https://opensource.com/article/17/11/pygame
    1. One long block of code
    2. Global variables are more obvious

"Making Games with Python & Pygame" by Al Sweigart
https://inventwithpython.com/makinggames.pdf

Think Python: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist by Allen B. Downey
http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/index.html

Latest SparkyLinux for Raspberry Pi OS Brings Lighter Apps, Improved Networking
http://news.softpedia.com/news/latest-sparkylinux-for-raspberry-pi-os-brings-lighter-apps-improved-networking-518750.shtml

Tiny IoT gateway built on Raspberry Pi Compute Module wears HATs
http://linuxgizmos.com/tiny-iot-gateway-built-on-raspberry-pi-compute-module-wears-hats/

for Python, NodeJS and a command-line binary that developers can
use right away to experiment with speech recognition.
Announcing the Initial Release of Mozilla’s Open Source Speech Recognition Model and Voice Dataset
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/11/29/announcing-the-initial-release-of-mozillas-open-source-speech-recognition-model-and-voice-dataset/
A Journey to <10% Word Error Rate
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2017/11/a-journey-to-10-word-error-rate/
Sharing Our Common Voice — Mozilla Releases Second Largest Public Voice Data Set
https://medium.com/mozilla-open-innovation/sharing-our-common-voice-mozilla-releases-second-largest-public-voice-data-set-e88f7d6b7666
In our initial release today, we have included pre-built packages

The multi-platform, network-wide ad blocker
https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole

Automotive Grade Linux plumbing reveals familiar Linux faces
http://linuxgizmos.com/automotive-grade-linux-plumbing-reveals-familiar-linux-faces/

wp:Motor Industry Software Reliability Association
wp:MISRA C

Wake up and Shut Down Linux Automatically
https://www.linux.com/learn/intro-to-linux/2017/11/wake-and-shut-down-linux-automatically

First Raspberry Pi Desktop Release Based on Debian Stretch Is Out for PCs & Macs
http://news.softpedia.com/news/first-raspberry-pi-desktop-release-based-on-debian-stretch-is-out-for-pcs-macs-518799.shtml

Three Laptop Makers Are Disabling Intel ME
https://www.eteknix.com/three-laptop-makers-are-disabling-intel-me/

Project ZeroPhone: the ambitious DIY Raspberry Pi phone
http://www.techradar.com/news/project-zerophone-the-ambitious-diy-raspberry-pi-phone

Home and building automation carrier taps Raspberry Pi CM3
http://linuxgizmos.com/home-and-building-automation-carrier-taps-raspberry-pi-cm3/

How to Change Your Password on Raspberry Pi (Raspbian OS)
https://www.maketecheasier.com/change-raspberry-pi-password/

8 Holiday Projects with Raspberry Pi and Arduino
https://www.linux.com/learn/intro-to-linux/2017/12/8-holiday-projects-raspberry-pi-and-arduino

SparkyLinux Operating System Launches for Raspberry Pi, Based on Debian Stretch
http://news.softpedia.com/news/sparkylinux-operating-system-launches-for-raspberry-pi-based-on-debian-stretch-518966.shtml

Make a DIY digital jukebox: Part 2
https://fedoramagazine.org/diy-project-digital-jukebox-part-2/

Hackable USB dongle offers multiple sensors including PIR motion detection
http://linuxgizmos.com/passive-ir-sensor-usb-dongle-tells-you-if-anyones-home/

Mining cryptocurrency with Raspberry Pi and Storj
https://opensource.com/article/17/12/raspberry-pi-cryptocurrency-mining

I Built an Android App, and I Don’t Even Code
https://medium.com/@dmpop/i-built-an-android-app-and-i-dont-even-code-3a0f587fc136

6 open source home automation tools
https://opensource.com/life/17/12/home-automation-tools

Tiny quad-core Linux SBCs slim down and get an RPi-like carrier
http://linuxgizmos.com/tiny-quad-core-linux-sbcs-slim-down-and-get-an-rpi-like-carrier/

Low-cost embeddable SDR occupies a mini-PCIe card
http://linuxgizmos.com/low-cost-embeddable-sdr-occupies-a-mini-pcie-card/