[colug-432] 24-bit Sound Input

Dave Maxwell dmaxwell at columbus.rr.com
Mon Dec 14 21:15:49 EST 2009

On Mon December 14 2009, you wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I am really happy with my edirol R-09HR.
>
> It is a standalone recorder, 24 bit .
>

> Perhaps something like that would give you what you need , and also
> serve as a fun hand held recorder ?
>
> I see it at $300 or so.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016MLUKU/ref=asc_df_B0016MLUKU984016?smid=ATVPDK
>IKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0016
>MLUKU

> --
> Tom

It hadn't occurred to me to use a solid state recorder similar to how I used
the Kingwin KM-31BK for VHS conversion.  And I did find some decent seeming
24bit/96 kHz recorders with line ins on them for around $150.  Here is one
such.  This is probably a purchase for January but unless I find a really
decent USB sound card with the same input specs I'll go with a recorder such
as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VBH2IG?tag=portablerecorders-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B000VBH2IG&adid=0ZCXR36W4V9MHTK5NTYB&

It is a Zoom H2 and appears to have a LCD VU meter so I if use the line in and
get an average -12dB deflection while recording a 96kHz wav at 24 bit then
I'll be a happy guy.  Once normalized, edited, declicked and decrackled,
downsized to 48kHz/16 bit, and ran through LAME (--alt-preset-extreme) I
should have some nice audio to show for it.

A friend gave me a really nice floating suspension turntable and I have a
pre-amp.  That and the 24-bit recorder should beat the snot out of these USB
turntables I see.

Incidentally, that same trick works well with digital cameras.  Take the pix
in hi quality mode and downscale rather than set the camera to low quality
mode.  Software on a PC will do a much better job of dithering down and
interpolating than the camera will. In that case both dynamic range and color
gamut are the maximum the target resolution/bitness can depict.

Dave
--
A sequel is an admission that you've been reduced to imitating yourself.
		-- Don Marquis