[colug-432] Emailing COLUG list

William Yang wyang at gcfn.net
Thu Oct 8 16:40:05 EDT 2009

There's been an interesting discussion about the efficacy of greylisting,
which is going on in the mailing list Emmanual runs for milter-greylist.

I use greylisting, and have for about 4 years now (using milter-greylist,
as the COLUG list does -- I learned of it from Russ, in fact, if I remember
correctly!).

While greylisting really worked for me for a while, I found that -- at
least for my user base -- there's a kind of statistical plateau to the
process.  I think this is probably because there are different kinds of
spammers who generate their lists differently and speculate that
greylisting may only be effective against certain classes of spam sources.

I'm currently getting in excess of 90% delayed messages getting delivered
over the past 28 days, which makes me think that I may not be seeing much
benefit from milter-greylist anymore.

	-Bill