[colug-432] Motherboard w/bulged capacitors: 50% Success Rate

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 01:18:39 EDT 2009

On 10/13/09, jep200404 <jep200404 at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> Angelo McComis wrote:
>
>> How is your success rate with swapped caps?
>
> My success rate is 50%.
>
> I replaced some bad caps on a motherboard at a COLUG meeting
> a while back. My most recent success was with an LCD monitor.

I recently repaired a 17" Envision LCD - it was apparently notorious
for two specific caps to die on this particular model - so notorious
that it took me about 3.8 seconds to google the exact repair.  The
problem in this specific case was under-spec parts, not merely bad
electrolyte; part of the repair was to replace 10V or 16V caps with
25V or 35V caps (naturally, I had the specific values at the requisite
voltage already on hand ;-)  The LCD formerly lit the back light for
about 3 seconds then powered down.  It now stays on.  My only issue
with this display now is that it's about 1.5" too tall to fit in the
space the old 15" fit into.

With CPU boards, I've had about a 50% success rate myself.

-ethan