[colug-432] Ubuntu as a router?

richard hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 18:37:56 EDT 2009

Sorry for asking such a stupid question, but I've been having a hard
time with Ubuntu lately.  I've had it running as an ssh/apache/file
server for a long time, no problem.  I also in the past used Coyote
Linux and Redhat (later Fedora) as a base OS for running a home
router.  So I've done this before.

For some reason trying to run Ubuntu as a router is acting all sorts
of weird - interfaces that are configured static are trying to get
DHCP addresses, /etc/resolv.conf getting bad information, etc.  Is
there a good/recommended guide for setting up Ubuntu as a router?  I
basically followed this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Router and
it was so messed up I switched back to using my DSL modem.  I'd like
to follow the instructions from a decent guide before asking a bunch
of questions or asking for help troubleshooting.

thanks!
-rj