[colug-432] Ubuntu as a router?

Steve Roggenkamp roggenkamps at acm.org
Wed Sep 30 22:33:04 EDT 2009

It's not a stupid question.  I've had the same problem running Debian
Lenny on a netbook.  I'm not sure I've completely fixed, but here goes.

I think the problem is that Linux is trying to chase Microsoft Windows -
just plug the network cable in and you're good to go.  So you have some
software developer's idea of how you're network should be configured,
assuming you plug into a home router/switch that includes a DHCP
server.  Unfortunately, there seem to be a few gotcha's if you're trying
to configure a good statically addressed networking system.

First disable avahi.  It just messes things up, big time in my experience.

Next, do a 'man resolvconf' and RTFM.  It used to be that you could edit
one file, /etc/resolv.conf, to set up you DNS resolver framework.  Now
it's a whole friggen framework with multiple directories under the
/etc/resolvconf directory.  The various files is this directory tree
overwrite the changes you make to /etc/resolv.conf, as if the daemon
knows better than you what you need!

Finally, blow away Ubuntu and install (Free|Net|Open)BSD that hasn't
been chasing the Microsoft BS.  Unfortunately, it's a bit of a change
from Linux in terms of system administration, but at least it doesn't
try to think too much for you in this area.  Yet.

Steve