[colug-432] Open Source hosting

Judd Montgomery judd at jpilot.org
Sun Apr 11 21:33:04 EDT 2010

On 04/11/2010 09:10 PM, Angelo McComis wrote:
> With code.google.com, freshmeat.net, and sourceforge.net, why roll
> your own? Wouldn't it be faster time to market with this new idea of
> yours to just use one of the public code foundry type joints?

code.google.com isn't really what I am looking for, there is no shell
access, no custom web pages, only their google groups mail lists, their
custom bug tracker tools.  I can move to there, but can't easily leave.

freshmeat.net is only a news site, no hosting.

Sourceforge is proprietary, ugly and pretty much the same problems as
google.

I've looked at 30+ other hosting sites and haven't found anything I am
excited about.  I thought maybe there were some obscure sites I haven't
heard about that people here would know of.

I'm not in a hurry to throw something up quick.  I want to move
http://jpilot.org and it has data to be migrated or moved to the same
tools on another host.

Judd