[colug-432] memtest86 questions...

Larry Howell lhowell at speakeasy.net
Wed Aug 18 16:13:43 EDT 2010

Joshua Kramer wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Are there any memtest experts?  I have a question.  Under normal
> operation, will memtest86 throw errors if a USB device is plugged /
> unplugged?  Or is it a sign of bad hardware if that occurs?
>
> Thanks,
> -J

I've not used the original Memtest86 in years, so the following may not
apply if that's what you're using.

We frequently use Memtest86+ that is on the Ubuntu install CD at Free
Geek Columbus.  The current Ubuntu 10.04 has version 4.00 included.  I
don't remember anyone reporting your problem or anything similar.  I
haven't looked at the Memtest86+ code in several years, but IIRC no USB
kernel drivers are included.

I just booted one of my systems with the 10.04 CD, started Memtest86+
and inserted then removed a USB flash drive.  Mentest seemed to ignore
this activity, so this suggests you have a local hardware issue.
Assuming you're using Memtest86+ of course.

Larry