[colug-432] Ubuntu Meetup

Steve Lefevre lefevre.10 at osu.edu
Thu Aug 26 15:03:00 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Jeff Frontz <jeff.frontz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Whereas "Ubuntu" is a term in common parlance among the less technical types?

Ubuntu is targeted for a non-geek audience.

If they're not a technical user, but they're using Ubuntu, there's a
good chance they're familiar with the word. If they're that far along,
don't trip them up by using a term which is 'the same' yet
simlutaneously 'different'. For now, they're using Ubuntu -- they can
understand that they are also using Linux ( and GNU! ) at a later
time.

 I think it's best not to confuse them with terms like Linux, GNU,
*nix, kernel, flavor, distro. I consider myself a geek and it took me
a while to grok exactly what a flavor was.