[colug-432] Peak Oil

Richard Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 19:03:54 EST 2010

On Dec 13, 2010, at 17:12 , Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> What the @$#Q%%^Q#$(*(*) does this have to do with Linux?
>
> Take your rants some place else, please

While I disagree with some of what has been said, it is at least somewhat on topic considering we need energy to power our homes, our cars, our offices, and yes, our Linux boxen.  Datacenters need massive amounts of electricity, and that doesn't come sprouting from unicorn butts.  We have to pay for our energy needs - and with the type of thinking that spawned a gem from our dear leader -- "Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlTxGHn4sH4) -- we're in for a rough ride should he get his way -- perhaps we're in for a rough ride one way or another sooner or later.

How/where we obtain the fuel to push the tiny electrons that power our stuff is something we rarely consider -- but a worthy topic of discussion, imho.  There are serious DR implications.  I'm pretty sure it was a valid discussion when ENRON was manipulating the energy market and California was suffering with rolling blackouts.  Nothing says that type of crap can't happen again for reasons other than ENRON -- copper theft is on the rise, and there is the possibility of resource/fuel starvation by lack or incompetence/failure of a central planning authority (Atlas Shrugged anyone?).

How would we deal with it?  How far would we have to go before power for computers - linux included - became a luxury?  What would it look like for ISPs and datacenters to be forced into fail overs on a regular (but unplanned/unannounced) basis from geographies without power to those with it?  Would the internet as we know it survive with large swaths of backbone suddenly being without power for extended periods of time, or rapidly power cycling (on for a day, off for two, on for 6 hours, off for 24 etc)?  Not only should we assume that generator fuel will go quickly, but generators take time to spin up -- and PSUs/UPSs can only take so much abuse.

Like I said, there are significant DR issues at play from a major fuel shortage. I'm speculating, but I'd bet many third world countries may share a critical feature - an unreliable or non-existent power grid.  What would happen if our power grid was suddenly as reliable as theirs?

-rj