[colug-432] Hadoop interest ?

Scott McCarty scott.mccarty at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 10:38:16 EST 2010

I feel exactly the same, I "get it" but we (my company) are having trouble
finding a use for it without completely redesigning the way we build and do
things. The "cloud" solutions we have been investigating are "libcloud"
(python/java) and Overmind.

Libcloud wraps about 20 providers (amazon, rackspace, linode) and Overmind
controls this all through a web interface. The problem is you have to start
thinking ephemerally with load balancers and get all of your data back (eg.
Casandra cluster or MySQL replication). We are a hosting provider so it is
hard to figure out how deploy in this manner unless you Amazon/Google.

My two cents
Scott M