[colug-432] virtualization, clouds, and infrastructure

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Thu Dec 16 10:40:20 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Angelo McComis <angelo at mccomis.com> wrote:
> Agree 1000% on your approach... Linux does bonded/LACP very well, but if you
> can afford 10GigE, you're probably not huddled around a camp stove figuring
> out how to pay for VMware, right?

When I was at OSU, using VMware was a no-brainer because their
academic discounts were so steep. Now that I'm back in the private
sector, the costs for VMware are (by comparison) staggering.

10g Ethernet is in the realm of the financially feasible. It suddenly
becomes a tough choice to decide between VMware or 10gE. If you can't
have both, which will provide the best infrastructure investment for
the business needs?