[colug-432] virtualization, clouds, and infrastructure

Tom Hanlon tom at functionalmedia.com
Thu Dec 16 23:47:21 EST 2010

On Dec 15, 2010, at 3:38 PM, Scott Merrill wrote:

> The discussion on Hadoop is interesting, and I do hope a presentation
> or two results. If I can help coordinate, please let me know.

I can give a presentation in Jan/Feb I think I would like to spin off a hadoop meetup group as well.

Presentation I can give..
I can present on hadoop, hbase, hive, pig but perhaps the best would be a general presentation that wanders the way presentations wander when techies get together :-)

Paradoxically enough we can all grab cloudera's VM (vmware) to play with examples.

What I would like to learn about:
Mongo, couchdb, membase (if there is anything complex about it ? )

> On a similar vein, how are you folks handling the management of
> virtualized servers in your environments? It's trivial with KVM and
> similar tools to run a couple of virtual instances on a single
> physical box. It's not so trivial to run those virtual instances in a
> highly available fashion across a cluster of physical machines.

I personally do not have much experience with either of these projects but I think they deserve mentioning in this thread because..