[colug-432] CMDB, was Re: virtualization, clouds, and infrastructure

Richard Troth rmt at casita.net
Fri Dec 17 09:01:47 EST 2010

> The only successful CMDB's I've seen had these qualities:
> 1) home grown
> 2) built on traditional DBs (mostly relational)
> 3) tightly integrated to the mechanism that actually makes the change
> 4) weren't called a CMDB

Amen!

I have worked for software companies as well as "customer shops".  One
employer put substantial people and resources into their CMDB product.
 I thought then that it was a grand mistake.

Jonathan's right.  CMDB has to be home-grown because it has to fit in
with >your< plans and policies for handling the systems (the mechanism
that actually makes the change).  Even flat files are better than
vendor CMDB if they're home grown.