[colug-432] PGP Signing Party

Scott McCarty scott.mccarty at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 09:55:58 EST 2010

Yeah, I don't think the drivers license analogy does it justice. It's more
like a credit card. Any ATM that trusts the STAR network, will trust a key
bank debit card. The circle of trust builds out from the people on the
inside. I heard Linus Torvolds give a speech on this some years back.

Trust has to be rooted. That, is the point of the signing party, to root it
in the group of people that you know are real and trust.

Also, if you private keys are stolen, even if they are encrypted with
password that is only known by you, it is advisable to revoke the keys.
Usually the second factor only buys you time once the keys have been
compromised. In fact, http://www.keylength.com has recommendation from NIST
(and others) on how long to trust a private public key pair for based on how
many bits of encryption.

Scott M