[colug-432] Where do cron jobs store their generated stdout while running?

Rob Stampfli res at colnet.cmhnet.org
Tue Feb 9 22:19:18 EST 2010

A stupid question, the answer of which has proved to be more elusive
than I would have first thought:  When a cron job completes, its stdout
and stderr are emailed to the user running the job.  I have a job
that runs for a prolonged period of time and for which I'd occasionally
like to review its output while it is in progress, but I can't figure
out where to look for it.  The executable itself is sending its output
to a pipe.  There appears to be no file in /tmp or /var/tmp that is
accumulating this data, but it must be stored somewhere until the job
completes.  Anyone know where?

FWIW, I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 (on an ARM processor, not that I believe
that the hardware is germane to this query).

Thanks in advance,
Rob