[colug-432] to run live CD from pen drive

Greg Sidelinger gate at ilive4code.net
Thu Jan 14 08:23:31 EST 2010

I believe http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ is good tool that copies
pretty much any distributions live cd into a bootable usb drive. I'm
pretty sure this is the program I used before. For some reason I
though it also had a mac port but I could be mistake or confusing it
with another program.

There is also http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ which has a lot of info on it.

I have yet to do this but I herd the grub 2.0 is able to boot an iso
file but it seemed to require a lot of work when I peaked into it.
Maybe some one else can shed some light on this approach.

Greg

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 7:36 AM, MUNEER AHMED SYED <sytechie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded .iso files of live cd for opensuse and knoppix
> Can I save them to pen drive and use it booting.
>
> Currently I am using dell laptop with windows xp.
> If I copy .iso file to pen drive can I use it for booting. (pendrive
> currently in FAT32)
>
> Thanx
> SyTechie

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
  - Douglas Adams