[colug-432] Feb 22: Visualization with the The Visualization Toolkit and Python (COhPy)

Eric Floehr eric at intellovations.com
Fri Jan 29 07:46:17 EST 2010

What: Central Ohio Python Users Group February Meeting

When: Monday, February 22, 2010 6:30 PM

Where:
TechColumbus
1275 Kinnear Rd
Columbus, OH 43212

This meeting of the Central Ohio Python Users Group will feature a talk by
Pete Carswell on using VTK and Python to visualize metal-surface fracturing.
The Visualization Toolkit (VTK) is an open-source, freely available software
system for 3D computer graphics, image processing and visualization. VTK
consists of a C++ class library and several interpreted interface layers
including Tcl/Tk, Java, and Python. The toolkit is maintained/distributed by
Kitware (http://www.vtk.org) <http://www.vtk.org%29>, and offers support and
consulting.

The libraries support a wide variety of sophisticated visualization
algorithms, including: scalar, vector, tensor, texture, and volumetric
methods. Advanced modeling techniques included are implicit modeling,
polygon reduction, mesh smoothing and Delaunay triangulation. VTK has a
suite of 3D interaction widgets to create servicable interaction with the
resulting images. VTK is cross-platform, running on Linux, Windows, and
Macs.

Pete Carswell will be giving a quick introduction to VTK, and will introduce
a simulation, studying metal-surface fracturing using Voronoi Finite Element
Methods. The study is being conducted by a research team at Ohio State
University. He used Python and VTK to solve some complicated visualization
problems.

In addition to Pete, we will also have two break-out sessions: developing
the cohpy.org website and Learning More About Python.

Pop and snacks will be provided by Intellovations. We also have a stack of
O'Reilly provided Python books in our library that can be checked out.

See you there!

Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com/Central-Ohio-Python-Users-Group/calendar/12416360/