[colug-432] Readin', writin', 'rithmetic, mowing

Stephen Potter spp at unixsa.net
Fri Jun 4 08:53:08 EDT 2010

On 6/4/2010 8:45 AM, jep200404 wrote:
> "Matthew W. Miller" wrote:
>
>> Understanding
>> the caveat that taking care of my own machine is a lot different from
>> taking care of other people's machines, ...
>>
> You could get the experience of administering other people's
> computers by volunteering for a non-profit organization.

This is a great idea.  You may also find small businesses that you know
that need some help administering their computers who will pay you a
nominal fee, trade goods/services, and/or allow you to use them as a
resume builder.  My martial arts school, for example, was having some
small computer issues that I offered to fix.  The owner game me a
discount on my tuition, and has steadily grown my IT responsibilities at
the school to the point that he has officially named me the Director of
IT and introduced me to other school owners that have hired me for services.

-spp