[colug-432] any interest on the list in presenting at an April meeting

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Wed Apr 20 14:34:42 EDT 2011

Russ suggested a possible future presentation topic:
>>> 1) seeing the 'decommisson' process used at FreeGeek to 'wipe
>>> and repurpose' old hardware

Larry Howell responded:
>> I could give an overview of the process and demonstrate some of the
>> tools used.  The actual process uses two PXE servers, two LANs, and
>> eight dedicated test computers.  Three are used to test and wipe drives,
>> two clone Ubuntu Linux on tested drives, and the others test RAM.  The
>> various phases take 3-4 hours to complete, but are scripted so minimal
>> interaction by volunteers is required.

Brian Miller asked:
> Any possibility this demo could actually be given at FreeGeek?  It would
> be a lot easier than trying to set up a "mini-lab" someplace.

I think it'd be a fine idea to host a COLUG session at FreeGeek
Columbus. I'm sure we can work something out for May or June.

Also, on that topic, any COLUGers with a pickup truck and some free
time, please contact FreeGeek Columbus at info at freegeekcolumbus.org --
we need some help getting an abundance of material to our recyclers,
and could use some volunteer labor.