[colug-432] see more shells from the C source

Richard Troth rmt at casita.net
Thu Aug 11 00:02:08 EDT 2011

Drat!  Posted from the wrong addr.  Try again.

For a limited time I will leave these five shells for five platforms
(minus two) on one of my web servers.  It's BASH, DASH, PDKSH, TCSH,
and ZSH built for Linux-i386, Linux-s390, Linux-ppc, Linux-sparc, and
FreeBSD.  Didn't have Solaris handy and didn't feel like bringing up
Windows for CYGWIN, but they'd probably build there too.  But DASH and
ZSH failed to build on the FreeBSD system.  (It's 4.4, so maybe just
too old?  Dunno.  Didn't take the time to dig into it.)  I am tempted
to burn a CD with these and file it away.  I do have a copy now in my
"everything" filesystem with whatever packages I felt like building.
So I can offer these pre-built and runnable copies to anyone
interested.  (The web view is a little harder to work with.  Duh.)

       http://casaruso.casita.net/tmp/shells/

While I'm fond of the "everything, any version, any platform" scheme
where I have put these, shells are usually much simpler packages and
want to be dropped into the canonical place (/usr/bin directly).  So
for that I have slightly different build logic.  But once you've been
through this a time or two, things start looking familiar and you can
build a package just like the horse can carry you home when you're
drunk.  Like Jeff Frontz was saying about building the Korn shell from
source:  It's just too easy, folks.

Everybody sing along ...

        "dot slash configure, make, make install"
        "dot slash configure, make, make install"

-- Rick;   <><