[colug-432] Firefox 6.0 troubles

Bill Baker bill_chris at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 18 19:44:34 EDT 2011

Just yesterday I downloaded the Firefox 6.0 from the official Ubuntu
update repository and it's almost completely unusable.  What happens is
it doesn't look like it renders properly.  It starts out looking like
this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bill_chris/screenshot.png

Notice how the menu at the top is cut in half and the rest of it is at
the bottom and upside down.  When you try to use it like this, the text,
pictures and toolbars jump around the screen making it very difficult to
use.

Now the very first troubleshooting step I did was to start in safe mode
and disable all the add-ons.  Once again, just so nobody tries to
suggest this to me, THE ADD-ONS ARE ALL DISABLED.  In safe mode, it
works fine but restarting it in normal mode with the add-ons disabled
makes it look like the screenshot above.

I thought it might be a theme issue, but since I'm using the official
Default 6.0 theme that comes with Firefox, that's unlikely.  But I still
tried different themes, again with all the add-ons disabled, and it
still does the same thing.

One last thing I tried doing was to start Firefox using another profile.
The profile I used had been copied from my default profile some time
back, so it had to update all the add-ons, but it worked fine, even with
the add-ons enabled.  There has to be some difference between the two
profiles that's causing this to happen.  Does anyone have any
suggestions as to which file to compare between the two?  I had no
problems with Firefox 5.0.1.