[colug-432] Nice Plain Text Columns and Avoiding NIH: expand: not

Stephen Potter spp at unixsa.net
Mon Aug 29 12:51:39 EDT 2011

On 8/29/2011 12:39 PM, Rob Funk wrote:
> A lot of times I'll write scripts that look something like:
> cat foo |\
>    filter --somehow |\
>    another-filter --some-other-way |\
>    more-filtering --with-more-options
>
> And it's nice to be able to easily vary the source (e.g. cat, echo, curl)
> separately from the filters, with a direct pipeline from beginning to end.

If you're chaining multiple commands in a script, I can see the utility
of having the initial cat there so the input doesn't get completely
lost.  That's actually one of the first really good reasons I've heard
for using cat in a pipe!  But, for CLI usage, how often do you really do
more than two commands?

filter foo | other-filter

-spp