[colug-432] complicated CLI pipelines (Re: Nice Plain Text Columns and Avoiding NIH: expand: not)

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 13:47:44 EDT 2011

On Aug 29, 2011, at 12:14, Jeff Frontz <jeff.frontz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Often the most important resource is sitting in front of the keyboard,
> trying to debug something in the middle of the night when production
> machines are collapsing all around.  If it takes half an hour to
> understand a clever hack before you can get the system back up, was it
> really worth saving that minute or two of CPU time over the course of
> a year?

Exactly. In the real world, you might be trying to decipher someone else's script at 0300 during an outage - or them yours.

I try (but don't always succeed) to write and document my scripts for myself, for others who might have to use them later, and to set a good example for anyone using my scripts as a guide for learning & writing their own.

-rj