[colug-432] CentOS

Matt Simmons standalone.sysadmin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 18:01:28 EST 2011

I've found that EPEL (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL) can help make
CentOS usable on the desktop without resorting to packages of ill repute.

It all boils down to what software you want/need. There's no question that
something like Ubuntu (or Mint, which I prefer) gives a smoother desktop
experience, but sometimes it's nice to have the same tools that you use on
production servers packaged for your desktop identically. I just use Mint
and spun up CentOS in VMs whenever I needed to play with a production lab,
though.

--Matt

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Steve VanSlyck <s.vanslyck at spamcop.net>wrote:

> I thought I would ask if anyone has any opinions about CentOS desktop. It
> used to be pretty spare and utilitarian and I want something friendlier
>
> I dropped it because I want primarily to use it as a desktop OS, meaning I
> want a pretty UI for "clicky pointy" uses as my friend from Owl River likes
> to say, and since I was first exposed to Red Hat distribusions instead of
> Fedora, I "know" that CentOS is "better" than Ubuntu even though Ubunto is
> aimed at clicky pointy ppl like me.

LITTLE GIRL: But which cookie will you eat FIRST?
COOKIE MONSTER: Me think you have misconception of cookie-eating process.