[colug-432] calendar server

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Mon Feb 7 11:47:56 EST 2011

Hoping that I have not asked this hear.
I looked through my own email archives and did not find it.
What do y'all like for calendar servers?  and why?

I use Googoo Calendar ... a lot.
But I try (hard) to not be locked in to any one service.
So I am excited about Google's use of CalDAV.  I can connect
Thunderbird or Evolution or ... whatever else ... to their service.
And at some point, maybe, I can run my own server at home
and own the content again.  (Which I still do with email,
but it is getting harder and harder to maintain.)

But here's the question.  Since my boss is even more paranoid
than I am (about where our data sits), no way will he let us use
Google Calendar for company stuff.  And one of my teammates is
in need of a shared calendar.  So I am going to recommend that we
run a server on one of our own machines.  But should I install
CalDAV or iCal ... or something else?  It will have to talk to
the various desktop calendar clients (TB and Evo, but also Mac).

The best candidate system to host this is an OpenSuSE machine.
Certainly we could also go with Fedora.  But I'm not the only guy
who would have to maintain it.  So what calendar server packages
run equally well on either?  (I am resistant to using Debian or
variants for this job.  Again because it's a team thing.)
So I'm looking for ease of maint also.

Thanks.