[colug-432] Cloud services and security

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Feb 7 15:12:30 EST 2011

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, Travis Sidelinger wrote:

> Also, Amazon may very well offer static IP services, but at
> least one of the cloud solutions we would like to use does
> not want to cooperate.

I think part of the issue is solving the complexity of routing
and fail-across.  If one can run an abstracting intermediate
layer of IP, and then using dedicated links to deliver IP
content to a endpoint, one can shift load and migrate a 'hot'
image between geographically discrete datacenters, hopefully
fast enough that the end consumer does not 'lose state'

Having worked on this, it is not at all clear that hot image
migration is a better solution than having an 'A and 'B peer
heartbeating one another, and running short DNS expirations

[We can migrate pmman.com client images between three
locations here in town, but the image transit times are long
enough that it is noticeable -- effective transfer data rates
of say 50 MBy/Sec, but with a 8 GBy image, that's still over
two minutes]

-- Russ herrold