[colug-432] Cloud services and security

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Mon Feb 7 16:17:33 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Travis Sidelinger <
travissidelinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, with a short DNS, I think the lowest you can go is 1 minute.  So
> even with we had a firewall that could dynamically update, there will
> still be a 1 minute outage every time the IP flips.

That's not entirely true. In some cases, you can set the TTL to -1, so that
it is never cached, and is resolved each time.  DNS administrators will hate
you for life, make fun of you in public, and perhaps vandalize your cube if
you do this though because their infrastructure is getting hit for EVERY
request, rather than once for each client every so often.

Technically it is possible though.