[colug-432] Looking for a Linux-based time-keeping application

Eric Floehr eric at intellovations.com
Fri Feb 25 13:14:59 EST 2011

Steve,

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Steve VanSlyck <s.vanslyck at spamcop.net>wrote:

> No offense taken and you are quite correct. I just want some training
> wheels. I don't wear them long but
>
> ls /?
>
> brings up page after page after page of stuff and it'll take me an hour to
> figure out how to do
>
> dir /s -shra
>
> just to find one little file to get beyond the problem of the moment.

ls -R

is the equivalent to dir /s -h  Hidden files are ones that begin with a dot.
 There isn't really a one-for-one Windows-to-Linux concept of system files
or the archive bit in linux file systems.

But there is a more powerful alternative.  You said you just need to "find
one little file".  There is a find command that will do exactly what you
want.

To find all files with a .doc extension from the current directory:

find . -name "*.doc"

To find all files with "work" or "Work" or "WORK" (etc) in the name
(remember linux filesystems are case sensitive):

find . -iname "*work*"

For CD\ I'm frustrated because I'm in my home directory and

> cd ../../System/Settings
>
> doesn't take me to
>
> /System/Settings
>
> Instead I have to
>
> cd ..
> cd ..
> cd /System/Settings (or maybe it was cd System/Settings

 On Linux "/" is like "C:".  You definitely can do cd ../../System/Settings,
exactly like Windows.  If System/Settings is two parents back.

It's real basic syntax that needs to be releared but in the nonce I want to
> get schtuff done.........

When I first moved from DOS/Windows to UNIX (HPUX then Solaris then Linux) I
used an alias file to map dir to ls, etc.  It did help.  But as others said,
its good to learn the native commands as they are much more powerful.

Here are some Linux/Dos cheatsheets you might find helpful:

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/unix_for_dos_users.html

and

http://rick.cogley.info/goodies/reference/linux-dos-command-equivalents.php

Cheers,