[colug-432] Looking for info on Columbus

Chris Snyder pub at 3wa.org
Sat Feb 26 11:32:45 EST 2011

Hiya,

My name is Chris, I'm currently located on the outskirts of D.C. and am
looking to move to Columbus or the surrounding area in the next few
months due to family reasons. I'm a linux SysAdmin by trade, over 15
years in the industry with some dabbling in Solaris and other  OS's.
I'm also a tools developer primarily focusing on Perl. I was hoping you
folks might be able to pass on some general info on the city and
surrounding areas and maybe some job leads. (Already found the
colug-jobs ML, btw.) I doo know there's a nice tech industry in
Columbus, so I'm hoping that somebody can use yet another linux grunt on
their front lines.

I had a long history (11+ years) with AOL and had the fortune of
visiting the CompuServe campus a few times (I remember there was an
awesome BBQ joint out behind it. Hopefully it's still there).  So I've
seen some of the area, but only very little.  I grew up in Louisville,
KY, and from what I've seen in person and from what I've read the
lifestyle in Columbus appears very similar to that of Louisville and
Cincinnati.  Other than I've read up the city in Wikipedia. But I'm
hoping that you might be able to share some more 'geek-centric' type
data my way.

So here's what info I don't have at the moment:

- Does anybody have any clue what the difference in salary ranges might
be for Columbus vs the D.C. area?  From what fuzzy data I've been able
to gather so far, it looks like I should be able to expect about a 30%
less in general cost of living and salary maybe $10K-20K less than what
I'm pulling now. I'm hoping asking for $80K-$95K wouldn't be too out of
line for a 15 yr vet of the command line?

- Is it possible to ask what a ball-park price for a 4-bedroom house
might go for in the suburbs?  $300K-$400K? More? Less? (Yeah, I know,
there's A LOT of variables that effect this.)

- What's the scoop on local ISPs and DSL, FIOS, etc.?

- What are the 'good' vs 'bad' areas of Columbus to live?  Does any
place in particular warrant special attention one way vs the other or is
it all one big happy community? Are there any areas overly susceptible
to tornadoes, flooding, asteroid hits, flying monkeys, etc.? (Of course
there will always specific needs based upon commute and assorted
amenities but I don't have all my requirements for those are just yet.)

- What are the current local hot-button political issues right now?
(I've found that sometimes these are good indicators for what possible
issues might be lying down the road in a few years and could influence
where or where not to buy a house.)

- Any other recommended sources for learning more about Columbus in
general or it's tech industry?

- Anything else you feel I should really know about the area?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Chris.