[colug-432] Looking for info on Columbus

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Sat Feb 26 12:44:16 EST 2011

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011, Chris Snyder wrote:

> - Is it possible to ask what a ball-park price for a 4-bedroom house
> might go for in the suburbs?  $300K-$400K? More? Less? (Yeah, I know,
> there's A LOT of variables that effect this.)

$200K will get you a nice 3-4 bedroom in a lot of the 'burbs.

> - What's the scoop on local ISPs and DSL, FIOS, etc.?

Time Warner cable.  I liked their service, others don't.

> - What are the 'good' vs 'bad' areas of Columbus to live?  Does any
> place in particular warrant special attention one way vs the other or is
> it all one big happy community? Are there any areas overly susceptible
> to tornadoes, flooding, asteroid hits, flying monkeys, etc.? (Of course
> there will always specific needs based upon commute and assorted
> amenities but I don't have all my requirements for those are just yet.)

(my opinions, feelings having lived there 8 years..now in Houston, TX)

Most recent growth has been to the North (Delaware county) and West.
North is probably 'nicer' since it was pushed by the expansion in the
Polaris area (Bank One/Chase, mall, insurance companies, Microsoft
office).  Downtownish is OSU, campus life.  Arena district is
upscale/yuppy.  East to south is military and industrial.

> - What are the current local hot-button political issues right now?
> (I've found that sometimes these are good indicators for what possible
> issues might be lying down the road in a few years and could influence
> where or where not to buy a house.)
>
> - Any other recommended sources for learning more about Columbus in
> general or it's tech industry?
>
> - Anything else you feel I should really know about the area?

Learn to like scarlet and gray.