[colug-432] Recent change in retry behavior from large e-mail sites, affecting greylisting?

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Wed Jan 12 10:14:24 EST 2011

On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 09:20:17 am Joshua Kramer wrote:
> I've always had problems sending to and receiving from MSN and Hotmail
> because apparently Microsoft doesn't like to deal with mail servers behind
> residential DSL IP addresses.  So if I have someone who I know to be on a
> MS-based address I just give them my gmail account information.

They may be using a blocklist that prevents them from receiving mail from IP
addresses whose Terms Of Service prohibit running mail servers. Many home
ISPs add their address blocks to such blocklists themselves, and many mail
servers (including mine) use such lists. Mail coming from residential
addresses is almost always spam or malware from zombie machines.

I think my only regular Hotmail-using correspondent remaining is my Mom, and
I did successfully get a message she sent on Dec 22.

> I don't know about Yahoo.  I'll have to create a test account there and
> see what it does wrt my greylist setup.

I've long had trouble sending TO Yahoo from my server, to the point that I've
started gently suggesting that my friends there switch to Gmail. Instead we
usually end up communicating by Facebook or Twitter or SMS (spam/antispam is
killing email), or occasionally my own Gmail account.

I just sent a test from my Yahoo account to my Funknet account..... Yahoo
retried after 2 minutes and 21 seconds, then again 3 minutes 30 seconds
later... at which point it passed my greylisting and (disturbingly) failed my
Bayes check. Which I guess says something about how little I get non-spam
from Yahoo.