[colug-432] Recent change in retry behavior from large e-mail sites, affecting greylisting?

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Wed Jan 12 11:08:32 EST 2011

Bill,

I can tell by the IP address of your "ktel" server where you are hosted. I
can tell you anecdotally that we had a horrible experience there. Admittedly
some of it was Layer 8 issues, but in short, we are "former and unhappy"
customers of that facility.

A couple other ideas came to mind here as this thread was piling up

* Your user logs that have all relevant troubleshooting information shaved
off of them -- is there any indicator of at least the friendly error
message? e.g. was it adress not found, was it host/domain not found, etc?

* On your server, can you tell if perhaps the comeback was hitting your
secondary MX server, and was getting greylisted again there?  Perhaps they
are coming in and hitting your primary first, but returning to your
secondary?

* Least likely scenario: the route to your IP is getting intermittent
interruption, and you're only noticing the errors when try #2 from a
greylist doesn't make it.... is it possible that try #1 isn't getting there
at all in some cases?

Best,

Angelo