[colug-432] Mounting plaintext FS under encrypted fs

Scott McCarty scott.mccarty at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 20:55:59 EST 2011

On Jan 25, 2011 8:44 PM, "Rob Haag" <rhaag71 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My 'Split' plan was to just encrypted external media, of which most of are
installed all the time. On a Netbook, maybe just encrypt a large SD card and
keep your sensitive files in there...or divvy up your Netbook's HDD and use
just one of the partitions as an encrypted storage. It would be interesting
to know that if there is an un-encrypted partition under an encrypted
partition...is it still piping through all the encryption stuff, or is it
really being put out there as a normal partition? Also does the
encrypted partition still have to be unlocked/accessed to get to the
non-encrypted one, or is it showing up on it's own?

It is just a mount point, so it is NOT encrypted and would simply have to be
mounted somewhere else to get access to the data. Does that make sense?
Unless you are talking about mounting a file as a filesystem, then it would
be encrypted.

Scott M

> Rob Haag
>

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Scott McCarty <scott.mccarty at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I just tested it on my LUKS partition and it works no problem.
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 8, 2004 at 10:05 AM, Joshua Kramer <josh at globalherald.net>
wrote:

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if it's possible to mount a non-encrypted FS under an
encrypted one?

>>> Suppose /home/josh is on its own encrypted partition.  Can I then mount
another non-encrypted partition under /home/josh/dev?

>>> I just got a new netbook and I'm attempting to find a good balance
between encrypting my home directory and not incurring a CPU hit when I want
to compile code?

>>> Allthough, the thought just occurred to me that maybe I can simply have
a "development user" that I use to compile code... and dump all the large
and high-bandwidth items under a /home/shared directory.  I think 2G of ram
should be enough to have both users logged in at once.

>>> Thanks,
>>> -Josh
>>>
>>> Spam detection software, running on the system "lists.colug.net", has
>>> identified this incoming email as possible spam.  The original message
>>> has been attached to this so you can view it (if it isn't spam) or label
>>> similar future email.  If you have any questions, see
>>> the administrator of that system for details.
>>>
>>> Content preview:  Hello, Does anyone know if it's possible to mount a
non-encrypted

>>>   FS under an encrypted one? Suppose /home/josh is on its own encrypted
partition.
>>>   Can I then mount another non-encrypted partition under /home/josh/dev?
[...]
>>> Content analysis details:   (5.4 points, 5.0 required)
>>>
>>>  pts rule name              description
>>>  1.2 DATE_IN_PAST_96_XX     Date: is 96 hours or more before Received:
date