[colug-432] Stoopid Question

William Yang wyang at gcfn.net
Wed Jan 26 07:27:05 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 06:53 -0500, Steve VanSlyck wrote:
> It would only be in the alt structure. But based on responses to date it
> doesn't seem a wise thing to to.

+1 on unwise yet doable.

I suspect you'd have to have to maintain the full directory structure as
sym or hard links into your /OS directory, or you'd have to recompile
just about everything starting from init and moving up the process
chain, to work properly.

The overall paradigm of this kind of system is different.  What you
really need to do is mount parts of /var, /home, /tmp and have
synchronization of certain (changed) files from /etc/ into an archive,
and then recogize that everything else is OS or installed software.

*IX isn't Windows, with its (not entirely) clean distinction between
"program" and "operating system" (ala C:\Windows, C:\Program Files, and
C:\Users or C:\Documents and Settings).  I don't see this so much as a
"standard" as I see it as an architectural basis for how systems are put
together.  It's a paradigm: you can change it, but you're going to do a
tremendous amount of work to get things working appropriately
afterwards.  I find it hard to see the *value* in doing that much work,
when the core issue is whether or not you want to use a specific pardigm
for system layout or not.

	-Bill