[colug-432] GoboLinux

Steve VanSlyck s.vanslyck at spamcop.net
Wed Jan 26 07:28:04 EST 2011

This does sound interesting (from
http://gobolinux.org/index.php?page=at_a_glance ) :

What is GoboLinux?
GoboLinux is a modular Linux distribution: it organizes the programs in
your system in a new, logical way. Instead of having parts of a program
thrown at /usr/bin, other parts at /etc and yet more parts thrown at
/usr/share/something/or/another, each program gets its own directory
tree, keeping them all neatly separated and allowing you to see
everything that's installed in the system and which files belong to which
programs in a simple and obvious way.

This is what you see in the root of a GoboLinux system:

~] cd /
/] ls
Programs
Users
System
Files
Mount
Depot

* * *

How can this possibly work?
Just like we use the filesystem to store the programs in an organized way,
we also use it to index the files by category so that the system can find
a needed file without scanning hundreds of program entries. In GoboLinux,
this is done with a series of directories containing symbolic links
pointing to the actual files. Notice also how this gives you a handy view
of "what package does file XYZ belong to."

* * *

But what about Unix compatibility?

The GoboLinux system layout seems to be a major departure from the Unix
tradition. Does this mean all programs need to adjusted so that they work
with the new layout? Fortunately, the answer is no. Through a mapping of
traditional paths into their GoboLinux counterparts, we transparently
retain compatibility with the Unix legacy.

* * *