[colug-432] Stoopid Question

Joshua Kramer josh at globalherald.net
Wed Jan 26 10:38:07 EST 2011

> It's even worth considering putting the language itself outside the package
> system (and therefore outside /usr). I don't know about Python, but that
> seems to be the preferred direction in the Ruby world.

In the RH 4 days when they had Python 2.2 and I required Python 2.4, I did
this.  Now the Pythons are sufficiently caught up that having extra
language installation causes confusion.  For example, if I were to do an
extraneous installation of Python 2.6 on a RHEL6 box, it would require me
to resolve library conflicts because the library loader would need to
differentiate between the shared libraries of the "system" Python and
those of the extraneous Python.