[colug-432] Installing Ubuntu from USB Flash Drive

Steve VanSlyck s.vanslyck at spamcop.net
Fri Jul 29 08:16:58 EDT 2011

Hello Expert Linux Hackers,

I tried to install Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 64 (10.4 LTS or whatever), by following the instructions on their site to install from a USB flash drive. I done everything exactly right. But the install failed partway through when the installer alleged that it could not find the CD ROM driver.

The problem is described at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10919698 - I would like help in how to solve it.

One kind gentleman wrote, "I had the same problem that you have, and unfortunately the only way was to put a usb cdrom (or put cdrom driver) to install the server."

I've very new - exactly what do I need to do?