[colug-432] Malware

Richard Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 01:46:33 EDT 2011

On Jun 23, 2011, at 23:41 , Thomas W. cranston wrote:

> I need a link to a malware detector. There is malware that infects
> winders, and won't let you do AV updates, or even go to any AV site
> (Norton, etc).
>
> I ran into this before fixing a neighbors winders box. There was a link
> to a test that confirmed whether or not a machine was infected w/this
> particular malware or not, and then instructions for removing it. Can
> anybody send me a link to the detector, or remember the name of that
> malware.

In all seriousness - if it is that invasive, back up what you want to keep and reformat.  Start over completely.

That is almost always my recommendation regardless, but especially in the situation you've described.  Where there is one apparently bit of malware, there is more hiding - either because of the first infection or because the user is just now figuring out there is a problem.  You're going to have a *really* hard time cleaning up the system entirely without reformatting.

People hate to hear that, and they get kind of mad at me - but that is my professional and personal opinion from my support days, and from my discussions with the really smart people who know more than me about this stuff at Ohio State.

-rj