[colug-432] Posting in Multiple Forums (was Re: Creative Labs SoundBlaster 16 PCI sequencer problems)

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Sat Jun 25 09:53:44 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 8:18 AM, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:
> Do you use a shotgun to hunt sparrows?

I wondered how long it would take until someone trotted this out.

Since it's been brought up, I'd like to draw everyone's attention to
the section at the bottom entitled "How To Answer Questions in a
Helpful Way":
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#id479916

I submit this rebuttal: "Write a better FM".
   http://omniti.com/seeds/write-a-better-fm

> When I see a cross-post on a list I do not admin, I ignore the
> item at once, and 'downtick' the sender.  I consider one well
> stated and well placed question sufficient.  But this is my
> personal prejudice, based upon experience with 'spoonfeeding'
> about which I have ranted elsewhere

I see nothing wrong with asking on COLUG -- a local resource where on
can conceivably know the other posters on a personal level -- and
asking the same question at the same time on a more targeted list --
one which may have subject matter experts but with whom the original
poster may not have any meaningful relationship.

I refuse to accept the notion that your lives are so important that
having to see the duplicate post in any way detracts from your
livelihood, success, or happiness. If a double post does so, I suspect
it's more likely a failing on your part, rather than something wrong
with the poster.

> In a list or venue I _do_ have admin responsibility for, I
> follow the policy or custom of the list and attempt to so so
> consistently

I would like to refer back to both my previous email ( carrots >
sticks ), as well as the above section on "How To Answer Questions in
a Helpful Way".

> In looking, I confirm that the COLUG site at its mailing lsit
> sub-page, has linked http://www.templetons.com/brad/emily.html
> which is pretty clear about cross-posting in ints enumeration
> of bad examples

*double take* What? At emily.html I see a page full of sarcasm, with
no actionable advice. Yes, being sarcastic and rude to users and
would-be community participants is _exactly_ the way to engender
positive behavior!

Cheers,
Scott