[colug-432] The smell, the smell! (Re: Looking for info on Columbus)

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 12:42:16 EST 2011

Unless they've dramatically changed their production methodology, the
smell from the Bud plant is actually from drying the "spent mash"
(whatever that gunk is that's left once they decant the wort).   Once
it's sufficiently dry, they ship it off to feed mills to turn into
fake fodder.  This used to really annoy the folks who found out about
it-- we'd been thinking that we had to tolerate the smell in order to
get the beer produced, but it was really the brewery seeking to make
more money by selling their waste stream.  That this was optional and
that AB didn't do much to stem the reek didn't play well with the
locals (especially those who have smell-induced migraines).

I've noticed that the smell has changed quite a bit in the last 30 or
so years.  Not sure if that's because they changed their mash or went
to a different process or that my sense of smell has deteriorated.

Jeff