[colug-432] The smell, the smell! (Re: Looking for info on Columbus)

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 13:58:24 EST 2011

Seeing as how the mash is where the boiling wort came from, I'm not
sure why your observations would conflict.  I know there've been
stories describing the odor's origin in the Dispatch at the time when
it first started to become amazingly pronounced -- in the
mid/late-70s?  (if only the Dispatch online archives went back that
far).  The tremendous amounts of air required to dry the spent mash
made it cost-prohibitive (or, rather, eliminated the profit incentive
to actually do the drying) to do any sort of odor abatement -- better
just to encourage the urban legend that it's the smell of the beer
being made (instead of the waste stream being made profitable).

Jeff