[colug-432] Source Code from Red Hat; Two Rs

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Sat Mar 5 15:29:55 EST 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 3:06 PM, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Mar 2011, Angelo McComis wrote:
>
> > And therein lies validation for our decision to use SuSE for our
> > enterprise Linux distribution.
>
> oh please
>
> -- the Novell licenses effectively have kept a community
> distribution from emerging, speaking as a community
> distribution builder who have read them, seen the inability to
> get a self-hosting distribution, and knows after testing
> builds
>
> enjoy your chains
>
> -- Russ herrold

 Ahh -- the stuff religious wars are made of!

SuSE has a community release, called OpenSuSE, which is slightly different
approach to community. It is unlike their SLES release, and you are correct,
they do that to make a pathway towards their for-profit product.

Mind you, no solution is perfect. Every company is out to make a buck. I get
it. And by the way, I thoroughly admire and appreciate what you personally
do for the CentOS / Linux community, Russ.  We need more people like you out
there.

Consider the reasons for RedHat to do this. These other vendors must be
making enough impact to be visible on the balance sheet, thus creating
enough ROI opportunity in order to fund the effort to make this change.