[colug-432] protocols (Re: SSH)

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 19:35:25 EST 2011

Don't get me wrong-- I get the niceties of text-based protocols and
make use of them all the time.  I'm just the curmudgeon who has to
make things run faster with fewer memory/cpu/network/bus/disk
resources and without a servlet running in a virtual machine to make
everything pretty for me; determinism in protocols is my friend.

Jeff

P.S for the curious reader who likes to read the whinings of a bit twiddler:

Take a look at SIP over TCP (SIP is one of my oldest and bestest
text-based frenemies); it's what everyone is moving toward (if not
already using) for telephony (be it traditional phone calls or
"presence") and the big boys are using it over TCP (for reliability).
There is no away a priori to know how big of a buffer you're going to
need to slurp an INVITE.  You have to do byte-by-byte inspection to
know when you can stop (or you can do something nasty like this guy
suggests: https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/sip-implementors/2006-July/013611.html
).  Even in UDP land (where you have some nominal MTU size to limit
things), you have no idea where in the SIP message the parts you are
looking for might be found (or if they're even going to be there).

Compare that to, say H.323 or SS7/MTP -- or TCP or IP or UDP -- you
know exactly how big the message will be and can pre-allocate buffers
accordingly (and you know exactly where to look for screening/routing,
etc.).

Similarly, I don't think anyone would want to use "web services" to do
their disk I/O, whether it's over the LAN or across the bus.  Heaven
help us if (when?) there would ever be an IETF RFC purporting to be a
"replacement" for USB! <shudder>