[colug-432] SSH

Richard Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 19:48:46 EST 2011

On Mar 8, 2011, at 17:07 , Steve VanSlyck wrote:

> Thanks, Scott. Guess what - the IP address had changed. I don't know why
> but it was a big change, from 65.24.X.X to 24.210.X.X!

Switching to a different class A is unusual, but I've seen RR do it before.  A few days later, it switched back.  Often, the DHCP lease is good for 24 hours - in theory you can unplug your modem for that long and get the same IP if you plug it back in.  Obviously, if the network engineers are screwing around or the pool is overloaded you could have a new IP fairly often.

You might check into a service like dyndns.org.  It has been a while since I've used them, but the idea is that you throw a script onto your box which keeps dyndns updated with your IP.  You use yourregistername.dyndns.org instead of an IP to access the system externally.

-rj