[colug-432] tunnelled IPv6 -- was: Looking for info on Columbus

Richard Troth rmt at casita.net
Sun Mar 13 22:49:23 EDT 2011

I'm up ... routing works.

Turns out I was being overly conservative with the /48 space and was
man-handling the interfaces too much.  I was using /64 addresses on
hosts at home and yet putting them on that /48 subnet.  The stack
seemed to get easily confused.  (This is all Linux at this point,
various SLES 10, Kubuntu, and Fedora, even an old SuSE 8.)  With
forwarding enabled, there was no need for me to assign an address in
the subnet on the tunnel, nor a tunnel-ish address on the ethernet
side.  It just works.

I have one or two V6 (quad A) records in the DNS which are working.

Haven't tried any IPv6 from the smart phone.  Gotta wonder when the
cellular providers will cut over.  I understand that they are more
anxious to go 6 than other industries.

I do mainframe Linux for a living and have development S/390 systems
of my own (not only my employer's systems).  So I hope to get IPv6
connectivity to a couple of my personal Linux-s390 penguins.  (One at
home via Hercules, another on a real mainframe elsewhere.)