[colug-432] OT: Columbus Botnet Siezed?

Ed Liddle ed at someplaceinohio.net
Fri Mar 18 10:54:45 EDT 2011

I also wonder how many of the machines that were seized were running
Microsoft's Operating systems or software. At least the article
mentions that the botnet effects mainly users of microsoft's products.
Most articles leave that info out.

-Ed

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Stephen Potter <spp at unixsa.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:11:12 -0400, Ethan Dicks wrote
>> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Joshua Kramer <josh at globalherald.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703328404576207173861008758.html
>> >
>> > Does anyone know which facility in Columbus this was?
>>
>> I was just reading that story and wondering the same thing.
>
> I wonder more about why Microsoft is being granted permission by the courts to act as a
> law enforcement agency. Shouldn't only law enforcement be allowed to be involved in
> raids and seizing of equipment?
>
> -spp

-Ed Liddle

No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many
electrons were terrible inconvenienced.