[colug-432] A Real Time Clock question

Brian Miller bnmille at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 21:47:03 EDT 2011

> You could make it work by adding ugliness: start at xx:59 and include a "sleep
> 55" before the actual recording command.
>

> (Personally I'm in favor of everything saying the correct time, and then
> scheduling based on that.)

It may be different in newer versions of cron, but the old standard was
that cron would start something scheduled for a specific minute SOMETIME
during that minute--there was no guarantee it would start on the first
second of the scheduled minute.  cron wasn't designed for second by
second processing.  If you want to make sure you record something, you
really need to schedule it at xx:59, and have enough extra disk space to
handle the extra data.